Friday, February 25, 2011

Surgery, Surgery & more Surgery

The surgeries all started with me about a week ago. I had a wisdom tooth that apparently had been missed, pulled along with one of my back teeth that has had 2 root canals and still bothering me. My recovery was rough but Lane and family were there to help me.

Next was Hudson. He has had a plugged tear duct ever since he was born. Most babies grow out of it by the time they are 1. Hudson's however got worse. His eye was always goopy and tears were constantly coming out of it. The surgery was on his birthday. Not really how we wanted to celebrate his 1st year of life, but it needed to be fixed.

The surgery lasted literally 60 seconds. They put him under anesthesia and went in with a paper clip sized instrument and popped the tear duct. It will take 2 weeks to see if it worked. If not he'll have to have a tube put in the duct to help drain it.

Playing with dad and exploring the office while we wait for his turn.


They marked which eye they would be working on with a permanent marker.

I was a little nervous for him to come out of the anesthesia because when Brookie had tubes put in her ears she had a hard time coming out of it. Lane told me he thought Hudson wouldn't cry at all and I was like, you are up in the night! Well anyways, they brought him out to us and he looked so cute, he gave us a half smile and when they handed him to Lane, he perked right up and was ready to go. He started to whine a little bit, but other than that was perfect!!

We came home and he took a 3 hour nap! Must have been pretty exhausted.
We did go out to dinner as a family with the birthday boy and then had Daddy time while Momma went out!

The day after Hudson birthday is when we decided to celebrate with family. Of course that is when Brooklyn's surgery was scheduled. She was having cavities filled. I'm embarrassed to tell how many because about 6 months ago they fixed 10 cavities. Well this time she had 5. I promise I brush AND floss her teeth. A few months back she was playing with her Dad, I'm not sure exactly what happened but she ran into the wall. She left her mark there on the wall and it made one of her front teeth loose. We called the dentist and they told us to watch for discoloring which would mean it was infected. Months go by and she never complained it hurt her and the color looked fine. I took her into the dentist for her yearly checkup and the first thing he says is that front tooth is abscessed and needs to be pulled! FUN!

So the morning or her surgery, of course she can't eat anything past midnight the night before, the surgery isn't scheduled till 10:30 a.m. For Brookie that is a long time to not eat, she is constantly eating! The dentist was an hour behind schedule, poor thing was starving!!
It was a treat trying to keep her entertained for 2+ hours. Good thing Daddy was there to help!
I was bored so I can't imagine how she felt!

The dentist came back and said it went well but that he did find one more cavity. . . which makes 6!!!
She had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia. She was very anxious, wanted to IV out of her arm and to go home. She was vomiting and really just struggling. Once we got home and she rested she was fine and back to her old self.

Now she has a cute toothless grin! I was going to get a fake tooth for her since it will be a while before her permanet tooth comes in but decided I was doing it more for me. She won't care if she has a hole there! It will take a minute to get used to seeing a hole in her mouth!

No comments: