Friday, March 5, 2010

The Birth Story

So Tuesday the 23rd I had a doctors appointment in the afternoon. This was my first weekly visit where they check your cervix. The doctor checks me and says I'm 4 centimeters dilated!!!! I was expecting maybe 2 or something but not 4!!! He said I was pretty thinned out as well. That night my friends Laci and Ashlee were throwing me a baby shower. They went all out and it was so cute!!! Well I had been having contractions all day but nothing that I haven't been feeling for the past 4 weeks so I didn't think anything of them. I made it through the shower and after everyone had left I was sitting there just talking with Laci and Ashlee and the contractions were coming stronger and more often. So Laci hands me her phone that has a contraction timer application. We timed them for the next hour and they were 2 to 5 minutes apart and getting stronger to the point that I couldn't talk through them; I had to breath. Laci and Ashlee were hilarious telling me I needed to go to the hospital and to call Lane. I didn't think so. I didn't really think it was time. I mean come on I was only 36 weeks along. I was in denial I guess. Finally they convinced me so I called Lane to tell him. . .3 times and he didn't answer his phone so I called my mom and she told me to go. Finally got a hold of Lane and told him to meet me at the hospital. I drove myself there and Laci followed me but looking back on it I should have let them drive me. We got to the hospital at 10:30 p.m. Got upstairs and they checked me and said I was now at 5 centimeters dilated and that I was staying. They hooked me up to an IV and I kept asking, "So I'm staying right?" Because I really didn't think I was going to have this baby. The nurse kept telling me, "Yes you're staying. We have you hooked up to an IV and you will have this baby by 3 a.m. Lane and I were both in shock. We couldn't believe this was really going to happen tonight. Lane ran home really fast to grab a few things since we weren't prepared at all. They came in and broke my water and gave me the epidural. Lane put in my catheter. He was really nervous but did an awesome job. I didn't get a UTI or anything like that.

At 1:30 in the morning the nurse came in and said I was at 10 centimeters and ready to go!! I was so tired but pushed for 20 minutes and at 1:48 a.m. on February 24th Hudson made his debut to this world a little more than 3 weeks early. Born with a ton of dark hair just like his big sister we thought he was adorable. He had some breathing problems so they checked him out and long story short. . .He was hooked up to a C-PAP machine for hour and had an IV because he was dehydrated. We were really nervous because from 2:30 in the morning till about 7:00 we didn't hear anything. So we weren't really sure what was going on. At about 7:30 I was able to go into the nursery and hold him for a few minutes. And at about 11:00 that morning they finally brought him into my room and just said we'd have to keep a close eye on his breathing.


Then the next hurtle was getting him to eat. The doctors told me if he wouldn't eat that they would have to put a feeding tube in him which would require him to be in the NICU. We didn't want that so we finally got him to eat. We both came home on Friday which I thought was pretty amazing considering he was early. Technically Hudson is considered a preemie or "near term" since he was born at 36 weeks and 6 days.

Brookie loves him to death now and loves to help feed him and help change his bum. She tells me all the time that he's poopy. She loves when he's awake she'll go up to him and say, "Hi buddy."


It's hard to believe he's here because it happened so fast. Brooklyn had a hard time at the beginning because we weren't able to really prepare her. I mean she knew I was having a baby and that he was coming but we were waiting a little bit longer to really explain to her. To make matters worse, the first time she came to the hospital the second I saw her I started crying for several reasons:

1. I was an emotional wreck, come on I just had a baby

2. We were concerned about Hudson

3. I was scared about having 2 kids

So she walks in the room and I just start bawling. She wouldn't come sit with me, she wouldn't give me a hug or kiss, she wanted nothing to do with Hudson. But my emotions have calmed down a little bit and now she is just fine. Thank heavens!!




Lane still hasn't gone back to work. It has been so nice to have him home these last 2 weeks. I hope I can handle 2 kids all by myself. He goes back to work tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!

5 comments:

Sharee said...

Good luck with taking over, I was nervous too. Okay, I was more than nervous, I was terrified but I made it so I am sure you will do great!!! Hudson is adorable, and so lucky so have Brookie for a big sister. Take care.

James and Cassidee said...

I loved your story. I am glad you posted it.

Harris Family said...

You are such a cute mom. My mom said little Hudson is adorable and she just couldn't get enough of Brookie and her personality. Hope all is well. Can't wait to see the little guy

Megan and Jonny said...

I'm so glad everything went well and that he's strong and healthy! I hope my next birth goes like that (meaning speedy, not early!)

Little boys are loads of fun. Better stock up on the cars now, because here in a year that's all he'll want. Cars and balls!

Congratulations!

Jason and Kimber said...

What a sweet boy!! I can already tell the ladies are going to be after him one day. I am so glad Laci made you go to the hospital. If not, you would of had the baby from home :). Tell Lane congrats from us too. He does look like a proud papa. Gosh, looking at all these pictures kind of makes me baby hungry. Love ya!!