Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Dentist

Back in June we took Brookie to the dentist for the very first time. She did so good. She let the hygienist clean her teeth and the dentist look at her teeth. She kind of freaked our for a minute but I got her to calm back down until he finished.

The results weren't so great. The dentist said she had 5 cavities. . .possibly more once they took x-rays. So he referred me to a pediatric dentist. A couple weeks later we went to him and it was disastrous!! She wouldn't cooperate and sit in the chair so I had to take her back to this room where he closed the door. I laid her in my lap and put her head in his knees and held her arms and legs down while she screamed the entire time and frantically tried to get up. After probably 10 minutes of screaming, sweat, tears, and snot we were finally done. He then proceeded to tell me she had 8 cavities and possibly more with x-rays.

What!!!??? Are you kidding me? I swear I brush her teeth. Well come to find out the problem is juice. She drinks alot of juice which is straight sugar which I was unaware.

So in the middle of July we went to the hospital where they totally put her out to fill the cavities. She ended up having 10 total!! That is half of her mouth.



She was a little loopy all morning and super drowsy but by the afternoon she was fine. Now whenever she fights me to brush her teeth all I have to threaten her with is the dentist. To say the least I have cut down on the juice incredibly. She doesn't like milk so all she drinks is water.

2 comments:

allirasmussen@gmail.com said...

oh my heavens what a pain!!! poor little lady! i have heard that juice is really bad...good thing raquel doens't know the difference between water and juice! he he he sneeky mommy

um ps i am in town and want to play!!! call me ;)

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor little girl! Juice is okay if it’s not too much and if you make sure she drinks a lot of water and brushes her teeth right after she finished drinking juice. Taking care of our teeth is very important because it’s healthy for our whole body. So, make sure to visit the dentist regularly. Have a good day!

Gunilla Cameron